I always wondered what people dread the most?
Fear of uncertainty, fear of failure or rejection, ending up alone, apocalypse or doomsday…the list was quite long. The answers were not the one I was looking for. With my mind wandering around, I did not realize the answer was sitting right in front of me.
A glass of hot lemon-ginger tea!
A sumptuous, hearty meal had made me belch and bloat.
Most people dread Poor Health! There you go! Nobody likes falling ill!
The ongoing pandemic has made us sit up and take care of one thing we have ignored the most,our Health!
Of all the health issues people face, gastric problem are the most common one. As we grow old, our body begins exhibiting the signs of wear and tear. Our internal plumbing does not work at its optimal level. Tackling the health issues using natural hacks is the need of the hour.
What are the symptoms of gastric problems?
Most of us have faced issues like heartburn, acid reflux, bloating, constipation, constant burps and flatulence at some point in our lives. Staying on an empty stomach for long hours, excess indulgence of food, eating oily or spicy food, dehydration, sedentary lifestyle are some of the reasons for gastric problems. Most of the time, the cure is in our hands.
How to cure Gastric Problem Permanently?
A well balanced nutritional diet, physically active lifestyle and stress free life helps alleviate gastric problem to a great extent.
1. Watch what you eat
- Make a habit of chewing your food slowly, by doing so, you will swallow less air. Less gas trapped in your abdomen certainly means less bloating or gas.
- Include fiber rich food like whole grains, fruits and vegetables in your diet. High fiber bulks up stools and eases bowel movements.
- Certain vegetables like potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and beans induce gas, limit their intake.
- Spices like cumin, carom seeds and asafoetida fight off excess gas and eases digestion. Use them in your cooking.
- Ginger and lemon are effective in reducing the bloating and letting off excess gas. If you have acidity problem, do not use lemon.
- Certain vegetables like carrot, spinach, corn and beets cause gastric and bloating problems when consumed raw. Cook them and consume.
- Avoid processed junk food like pizza, burger and fries, no good can come out of them.
- Cut down the intake of refined carbohydrates like white flour bread, pasta, sugar and pastries which do not get digested easily.
- Salty food makes you retain water in your body causing bloating. The World Health Organization recommends a maximum of 5 grams (less than a teaspoon) of salt per day.
- Chewing gum or tobacco is one of the main culprits for gastric problem. If you have the urge to chew something, try fennel seeds next time! It is effective in relieving gas pain.
Here is a remedy my grandmother taught which is very effective –
Dry roast equal portions of black mustard seeds and cumin in a pan. After cooling, grind them into fine powder. Take a teaspoon of this powder, mix it well in a glass of water. Boil this mixture and reduce to half. Add a little ghee and consume. This remedy has proved very effective in fighting off gastric problem.
While these natural remedies work in most of the cases, it is essential to consult your doctor if you suffer from acute gastrointestinal problems.
2. Grab a bottle of water
- Not drinking enough water is the root cause of many ailments one can easily avoid.
- Drink 2-3 liters of water everyday. It hydrates your body and helps in the smooth functioning of the digestive system.
- You swallow excess air when you drink fizzy carbonated drinks and sodas. This excess air trapped in the digestive tract causes discomfort leading you to burp to let the gas out.
- Alcoholic beverages have the same effect on your body.
- Chamomile, ginger, peppermint or lemon tea helps reduce gas and bloating problems.
- The natural enzymes present in tender coconut water helps if you are suffering from acid reflux or indigestion.
3. Get moving
- Regular exercise is the most effective hack to combat gastric problem.
- Brisk walking helps to keep gastric problem at bay.
- Pelvic floor exercises, forward lunges and squats help you let the excess gas out.
- Running, bike riding or swimming are beneficial for the smooth functioning of your digestive system.
- Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day.
- Yoga is the most effective cure for acidity and gas trouble.
- Practice yoga poses like Pavanamuktasana (Wind-Relieving Pose), Marjaryasana-Bitilasana (Cat-cow pose), Vajrasana (Thunder-bolt pose), Mayurasana (Peacock Pose), and Ardha-Matsyendrasana (Sitting Half Spinal Twist Pose) to relieve from gastric pain.
- Learn more about Yoga postures here.
5. Beat Stress and Anxiety
- Stress causes various gastrointestinal problems like constipation, bloating, diarrhea and loss of appetite.
- Practice meditation to calm your mind.
- Personal and professional commitments may keep you on the edge all the time, do not forget to unwind and relax your mind and body.
- Indulge in activities that trigger happy hormones.
- Lack of sleep triggers stress, do not forget to catch a good night’s sleep.
- Sleeping on your left side is the best position for gastric problem. It lets gravity help to push waste down to your colon.
- If you reach for a cigarette to beat stress, now is the time to quit. Among the various health hazards of smoking, acid reflux is also one.
With everything just a push of a button away, life has become more convenient. Unfortunately, we have forgotten good health is not one of the readily available things.
Active lifestyle and mindful eating helps one to beat gastric problem easily. Let us follow the mantra of our ancestors – Work hard, stay calm and eat sensibly!